Wednesday, December 18, 2013

See talent in NYC with me...

Today has been all about people taking time to share their ARTS and talents in the Subway tunnels and on the train, in Barnes and Noble, and out on the streets! Thoroughly exhausted now, it has been my final hours of navigating and hiking and climbing a million stairs in this web of a city Christmas shopping for my family! I am done!!! Whoop. 

Graced with no musical talent, I am always happy to be in the presence of the ones who are.  Tom Swafford showed off his fiddling with some good ole' bluegrass-y Christmas tunes.  I thought I might have danced if I had cloggin' shoes on. 


IMG 3529 from kimberly on Vimeo.

This is why the arts are so important for artists share. It really is therapy!!! Helping calm raging lunatics, and basic frustrations during a bout of delayed soon to be sardine train syndrome. 

When I finally made it to Union Square, at the Barnes and Noble kid section, heard and had to find or follow the most amazing singing I have ever heard. This voice was so captivating, that I followed the sounds until I the guy stocking and sorting in the back room with the door opened. This man needs to be discovered, and He certainly will I am sure of that. Amen. ( no, I didn't get a video, but next time I will have the nerve to ask him. ) 

Today I also was graced this... quite interesting ensemble, the eclectic instrument one man show. Never seen anything quite like it,  and just for the record, the song is not my fav, he is definitely not on the top of my list musically, but I just stood there and couldn't pull myself away due to the sheer awe of what I was witnessing. 

Honestly, though, I will never have the desire to do that again. But there will be plenty others who will stop for him next time. 

IMG 3530 from kimberly on Vimeo.

Yesterday it was AnthonyThomaz, a mixture between pop and rap. Super talented duo, awarded  a roaring applause on one particular song which is a rare thing to see stranded and frustrated humanity actually show approval for a band in their midst.  




So that was AnthonyThomaz and 


this is Najah. 



This past Friday, I didn't get a video of this young woman, but she rocked 14th street Brooklyn Bound with a capital R. The whole tunnel roared with applause as she belted out one of Katy Perry's tunes.. check Najah out here ( I didn't take this video obviously). SOOO talented, and again, so grateful for the artists who take the time to come down to the tunnels to help us all out! 

Monday, was one of my worst transportation days, It was a long series of a subway stop being blocked by a police investigation, me getting off and getting on a wrong bus and when I finally made it to the train walking three avenues with two bags of heavy groceries, after entering the wrong side of the tunnel, I heard this trio playing classical music far down the way. I walked as swiftly as my feet could at that point. set my bags down and tripped right onto the subway floor. 

This wonderful trio, by sharing their gifts, kind of saved my sanity at that moment. (sending them thanks). 



As wonderful as all that was, I only managed to go out only on the days that were the absolute most bitter cold. So the musicians that were around really helped get me through to the next place. 

This weekend it's going to be 65 degrees! If I had waited until now to shop,  the probability of being squished by a sea of shoppers, and waiting in really long long lines is probably much greater than getting hit by huge flying umbrellas. 

(and if you missed that story, I was hit in the head on Saturday at 3pm with a street vendors umbrella flying through the air and I am suffering with a mild concussion, learning just how fragile we really are).

















































Although, having so much to do for the family, I am trying not to leave the house without some form of art making tools. 
 I did bring my heavy camera (cursing it at about hour 4, but very thankful and grateful for it too!!) and I did capture some of those near timeless, or "time-travelish" type of images I am enjoying finding ( kind of like a treasure hunt) 

enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment